Community Accreditation for Produce Safety (CAPS) Resources (Templates, Examples, Information)
Finally, feel free to reach out to Hans Estrin if you need anything (firstname.lastname@example.org, 802 380 2109)
CAPS farmers meet 17 requirements, which are summarized here. You plan and verify meeting these requirements in your produce safety plan and six additional supporting documents.
CAPS Produce Safety Plan Preview:
The CAPS+ Program, designed for wholesale market access, has additional requirements described HERE.
CAPS + LGS (Leafy Greens Supplement):
Supplemental produce safety planning and verification is required by some buyers for higher risk crops (e.g. Hannaford, Whole Foods, Wegmans, Deep Root Coop).
The CAPS+LGS program supports CAPS growers to meet these additional requirements, while the Vermont Agency of Agriculture Food and Markets (VAAFM) Produce Program provides the 3-rd party on-farm audit of your farm to verify the integrity of your CAPS+ and LGS plan/documentation.
As a CAPS+LGS grower, you simply download, and customize/ complete the following two templates(or equivalent forms), as needed, and then upload them to your CAPS+ Plan:
Templates and examples to support your CAPS Plan and its implementation/ verification:
Produce Safety MAP
CAPS requires a simple map of your farm that highlights the location relevant structures (e.g. restrooms, first aid, cold storage, stated land-based risks).
- See examples of a few CAPS plan farm maps HERE.
Farm Worker Health and Hygiene Policy and Training
All CAPS farms have a Health and Hygiene (HH) Policy. Farm employees are trained when they are hired (or rehired), and they sign that they have received this training. See the following templates for examples of CAPS HH polies on group sign-off forms. These forms should be customized by each farm, and are designed to hang on a clipboard in a common space.
- CAPS Minimum Healthy and Hygiene Policy and Group Sign-off Template
- CAPS + FSMA Minimum Health and Hygiene group and Group Sign-off Template
- USDA Harmonized GAP+ Plus Policy (additional requirements for Farms doing CAPS+ Leafy Greens Supplement to access markets)
Compost and Manure Management
- NOFA Guidelines--CAPS compost and manure standards reference the Vermont Organic Guidelines HERE
- CAPS Manure and Compost Management Log Templates (spread sheet)
Cleaning and Sanitizing Resources
- Wash Pack Cleaning Checklist--Template
- Clean Greens Video: A standard operating procedure (SOP) for triple-rinsing greens (from Walker Farm)
- Sanitizer Dilution Calculator
- Containers Cleaning Checklist--Template
- Bulk Bin Cleaning Checklist
- Orchard Picker Bucket Care
CAPS Water Test Information